川尻 善昭 (Wikipedia) is a director who rose from the ranks of humble animators.
Kawajiri's fame in the US and Europe seems based on the violent and misogynistic urban power fantasies he directed in the late 1980s, which had English-language releases when the markets were small and the “video nasty” qualities of the material helped gain attention.
- Key animator: Conan, the Boy in Future (1978)
- Key animator: Armageddon: The Great Battle with Genma (1983)
- Key animator: Barefoot Gen (1983)
- Director: Lensman (1984)
- Key animator: The Dagger of Kamui (1985)
- Key animator: Barefoot Gen 2 (1986)
- Storyboard artist: “Firebird: Space Chapter” (1987)
- Writer-director: “The Running Man” (1987)
- Director: Wicked City (1987)
- Director: Demon City Shinjuku (1988)
- Director: Goku Midnight Eye (1989)
- Director: “Goku: Midnight Eye II” (1989)
- Writer: A Wind Named Amnesia (1990)
- Director: Cyber City Oedo 808 (1990)
- Key animator: Record of Lodoss War (1990)
- Writer-director: Ninja Scroll (1993)
- Director: The Cockpit (1993)
- Director: Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (2000)
- Key animator, layout artist: Metropolis (2001)
- Writer-director: The Animatrix (2003)
- Key animator: Redline (2009)
The following make direct references to the Kawajiri Yoshiaki tag.