Haneke (Wikipedia) has said that “I've been accused of ‘raping’ the audience in my films, and I admit to that freely - all movies assault the viewer in one way or another. What's different about my films is that I'm trying to rape the viewer into independence.”
This is done through unsentimental narratives where answers don't come easy. It's usually very good, but the foundation of the approach is contemptuous of popular interest.
- The Seventh Continent (1989) Director
- Benny’s Video (1992) Writer-director
- 71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance (1994) Writer-director
- Funny Games (1997) Writer-director
- Code Unknown: Incomplete Tales of Several Journeys (2000) Writer-director
- The Piano Teacher (2001) Writer-director
- Time of the Wolf (2003) Writer-director
- Hidden (2005) Writer-director
- The White Ribbon (2009) Writer-director
The following make direct references to the Michael Haneke tag.