World Masterpiece Theater
A tag for organizing content
“World Masterpiece Theater” was a programming slot. Its title is associated with the entire tradition but was only used in the years 1979–1985 and 1994–1997, in the absence of title sponsorships. Production moved from Mushi via Zuiyo Eizo to Nippon Animation—the production arm of a partitioned Zuiyo—in 1975. Each year (1969–1997 and 2007–2009), a new children’s book was adapted to TV animation.
- Heidi: A Girl of the Alps (1974)
- 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother (1976)
- Anne of Green Gables (1979)
The following make direct references to the World Masterpiece Theater tag.
- Kiki’s Delivery Service (1989)
- Ronja the Robber’s Daughter (2014)